Approximately 170km east of Guatemala City, in the central highlands near the borders of Honduras and El Salvador, lies the town of Esquipulas. The town is best known for the magnificent colonial church, which was ordered built in 1737 by the archbishop of Guatemala to house the spectacular wood carving known as the Black Christ.
As with an increasing number of elders around the world, most of the residents at Hogar Betania have been abandoned by their families, either in their own homes or in the hospital. The nuns do outreach into the community in order to find those elders in need of love, compassion, and a family. Recently, we were able to provide a little support towards the home’s expenses.